Saturday, February 28, 2015

Week 1

Two days before my departure were very hectic. We ran around finding things that could be pricey or hard to get in Seoul. I recalled those are stuff like two pairs of new shoes, Charmi cottonbud, Natur-E, perfume (didn't get the so-badly-wanted YSL Opium and opted for YLS Parisienne instead), wifi router and pads because I don't want to repeat my American story where tampons costs half than pads.

I was super busy throwing out things that I may not want to see again in a year from my room. If I didn't clean up, my room will be in the exact same condition as I leave it since no one gonna touch my stuff.

Tyas came to save me only at night and we barely sleep because I was too busy with packing. I love last minute packing and I gotta say that I'm really good at it haha. My luggages looked like they were gonna explode because its too fat.

My flight was scheduled on Monday, 8AM so we left home at 4AM to avoid Jakarta's crazy Monday morning. I reached the airport just in time that the check in counter was already opened. No hassle dazzle, evertything went nice and my checked in luggage only weighted 20kgs from the 23kgs limit. Sadly I cannot squeeze more things because no more space already :(



Everything went smoothly except that I don't want to take it as my last meeting with Tyas this year. So sad leh, even sadder than leaving a boyfriend :(



Anyway, the flight was great because I slept through the entire flight except when the meal was served. It was much easier than the-almost-4-hours flight to Manado because I was so stressed that time haha.

As soon as I walked out the gate, I saw my name on a paper, telling that I should wait in front of McD, It took several minutes before we finally met Mr. Kang, the guy who picked us up. We waited for 2 hours for a Mozambique girl that never showed up. In the end, there were 3 of us. A Mexican grantee, Venezuelan grantee and me.

I was quite shocked when arriving to Ewha because the road to Hanwoori Hall (assigned dormitory for KGSP Student) was so hill-y and steep.

Checking in was easy. We just signed a contract and we were given an access card and key for free. Later on we picked up our blanket and pillow also for free. I didn't go anywhere but convenience store in front of the main gate because it was too late yet too hungry to sleep.

Ewha


On the second day, we explored the area and went to 3 branches of Daiso to fill up our room. Actually, room at Hanwoori is nice. I like it. Plenty space for your stuff, nice arrangement and I have nothing to complain about. But still, I don't have shampoo, soap, mug, shower basket, hanger (!!!) and all that stuff.

Oh by the way, it was also the check in day for regular students so our dorm and elevator was packed with parents helping their kids to settle. They seemed to bring their entire life to the dorm, judging by the number of boxes each person could bring hahaha.

On our third day, we managed to find Grand Mart which is my new saviour. It is not huge nor grand, but adequate if you're looking for groceries. Selisihnya sampe 20% loh sama minimart. Arauca, the Venezuelan, and I also tried lunch in our dorm cafeteria and it was very yummy!

worth my 4000
Yes, I ate the chicken because being vegetarian around here is very hard. I still stick to bread whenever possible tho.

Then we went to NIIED KGSP Orientation which was SUPER COOL! This deserves a special post. It was nothing scary. Everything was just great and the (free) meals were fabulous! The staffs are really nice, too!

The orientation lasted for 3 days 2 nights. I want it to be longer eh :P After orientation, we were dropped back to Ewha, not to our dorm. We had to climb the steep hill with luggages yeahh :(

I barely had time to unpack my bags when Lydia, a Malaysian grantee, asked if I wanted to go out. Just in the right time because I needed to do my laundry yet I didn't have detergent. We went to Daiso and turned out that looking for detergent was tough because it barely have English translation. Shoo.

We (a Malaysian, a Bruneian, a Singaporean and me) were hungry and decided to eat at a small restaurant. I had a tasty Sundubu Jjigae for 6000 won and I love it! I asked and she said it was vegetarian tho haha.

Then we went to Olive Young for face moisturizer. It was very strange because when I asked for it in English and Korean the shop attendant was like "中文。。。中文"

Aiyoh. I dragged Lydia to explain for me then we managed to find it! Initially she gave me like a spray thingy. Lydia also wanted one too but they only have 1 spray-thingy-bottle left. So she suggested a higher priced cream for Lydia and I said "Ah, I like cream better! 我要这个!" and asked for the price in Korean. She looked pretty surprised with the group's multilingual tongues hahaha.

Just when we about to go back to the dorm, Pi Ling from Brunei wanted to buy pillow. So we decided to walk to Grand Mart because we had no 'nearer' option. Walking back from Grand Martwas kinda strange with us bringing shopping bag, bedding set and a pink bolster haha.

Overall, I really enjoyed my first few days even without SIM Card, wifi and tasty breads. I am really grateful for this scholarship and I should always remember this if I ever thought of giving up.


2 comments:

  1. enak tuh, bisa dikirimin kali makanannya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mending cae yg ngirimin pempek sama cireng keraton hahaha

      Delete