Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Now Booming : Thai Movie

What comes to your mind once you hear the word "Thailand"?
Elephant? Sawaddee krap? 1000hands dance? Bangkok? or perhaps... Ladyman?

For me, it's always 'TATA YOUNG' but yeah, people know that already. I'm crazy about her and I posted thousands of words for her already.

Nah, how many of you gotta answer "Mario Maurer"? Or "Crazy Little Thing Called Love"? I guess it would be the majority of teens' answer, remembering how popular the movie was. I've keep myself updated with the current Thai movies since 2010, especially for those which aired in Blitzmegaplex (the only cinema that shows Thai movies). My first Thai movie is Bangkok Traffic (Love) Story. I've reviewed here. The movie left such a really deep impression on me that I now become a fans of Ken Theeradej, hehehe.

Back then, a lot of people in my peer group mocked Thai movie. They hated the voice of the stars. Well, yes the voice is weird for Indonesian but you can't blame on them, rite? I remember how I suffered when I listened to Tata Young's Thai song for the first time. It's understandable, we couldn't take the strong accent that Thai people have. But it's not a good reason to skip a good movie just because we can't bear the culture differences.

Everything changed when Crazy Little Thing Called Love suddenly booming in Indonesia. A lot of teens started to become Mario Maurer's fans, and the number of fanbases for him uncontrollably grew. I honestly enjoyed the movie but yeah, it wasn't as much as I love BTS, hehehe. We have a similar culture with Thais and we enjoy the "South East Asian romance" that shown in the movie. With rare skinship, no sex scene or even frontal kiss. We can take the Thais' jokes too. Well yeah, they're translated but we don't miss the point.

The question is, what quality that we don't have in the movie that makes people tend to love Thai movie but not the locals made?

In summary, good storyline, good picture (oh man, you gotta see how poor the local movies are especially those cheap horror), attractive stars, talented director, great promotion, and good supportive culture (Thais go to the cinema to watch good movies, here we wait for it to be played on TV or buy the pirated ones).

Recently I came to the Meet and Greet event in Blitzmegaplex. They sold "Mario Maurer" popularity to blow the ticket sales, not the movie itself - Pee Mak. Friends envied me for meeting Mario Maurer in reality but oh man, I didn't come for him! :))
I love Thai movies and I'm willing to attend every event that is Thai-movies-related.

The movie was beyond superb. It supposed to be a horror movie about the very famous urban legend but the genius director used such a very unique approach and turned it into a comedy. Yes, the music shocked me like three times but I laughed more than 10times! For those Mario Maurer fans, here you can see him being funny, charming and cute without looking stupid (not lookin stupid and silly like how he played in Saranae Hen Pee). Definitely his best movie after the legendary Crazy Little Thing Called Love.

I didn't know much about the rest of the casts but I become the director's fangirl after the event. I only like his works at first. Oh c'mon, Hello Stranger is really good, especially with GTH behind and best actor that suit the character, Ter Chantavit Dhanasevi. But then I stalked Mr Banjong's instagram and I saw how friendly and fun he is. Pictures tell thousands word, right? Don't imagine someone fierce like Hanung Bramantyo or James Cameron. He looks young and he makes hundreds funny facial expressions. Thank God, he seems close with Ter (which we can expect a lot of collaboration in the future) and he's in GTH, the best Thai-based PH that I know.

I'm always in waiting for another movie from GTH. Except the horror one, sih. I'm waiting for movie that staring Ter, Pae Arak, Ken (eventho it would be an endless wait - expect his lakorn with Ann like 5x faster), Cris Horwang, Preechaya and Sunny.
Last, Thai movies that you must watch.

  • Bangkok Traffic (Love) Story, tell me if you fall for Ken, I'll give you like 5GB++ of his lakorn
  • ATM, you're not really watching if your stomach is okay after the movie. Surely will laugh too much.
  • Seven Something, especially the 21/28. Cris Horwang looks really mature here and she did a great job! I love Sunny with his expression-less face. And the essence of the movie is not Nichkhun. He's good but not actor's good.
  • Hello Stranger, it's funny and fresh. Definitely using K-Pop fame in the time of release but Ter's acting is a good selling point too. Imperfect ending but yeah, okay.
  • Best of Times, touching, funny, light story with good approach but kinda too long
  • Pee Mak, nah. This is 2013-must-watch. Don't be afraid, the ghost is pretty. Enough said.
I just realized that my recommendations filled with GTH movies but that's okay. Pae Arak should really go back to the GTH team and Ken should give up on his lakorn carreer. LOL:))

Happy watching~!

No comments:

Post a Comment