Sunday, December 6, 2015

Road to Home

Wow it's been few weeks since I sit and craft a blogpost. Recently I've been really busy with unexpected trips, unwanted meetings and surprising life events. Some are incredibly sweet and some are too bitter to chew.

So I finished Intensive Korean Level 3 on November 19 with okay grade. My overall score went down 4 points but I kinda accept it since I really struggled a lot in Level 3 with the materials and many events that kept me busy. (I know I should only focus on Korean but...)

Anyway as I shared on Path, I flew back to Jakarta on the 20th. It was not easy at all. First I have to get the permission, then set the date, book the ticket, keep it secret from friends, buy souvenirs, pack my luggage and make sure I can bring them all. I swear taking a flight to home was never this hard.

Why so? Sadly because I wasn't actually allowed to leave the country before a year per my school's policy. I can't complain, I am sponsored. But this time I have 'concrete reason' to go back home. So the plan was there since mid September but I only began the whole process on early-to-mid October by meeting my coordinator in person, saying that I wanted to go home for a few days during our vacation period. She said its possible but she needed to talk with the head teacher first.

My coordi reached me back via email after a while, reinstating the policies and asking if I have inevitable reason to be granted permission to go home. Well... My reason is not inevitable, it was very personal. I told her again why I need permission to go home and few days later she wrote to me saying that it was granted. It wasn't a straightforward "hey okay we have discussed it and you're good to go" but okay, I still (sincerely) love my coordi and teachers!

I had only 17 days before the semester's closing ceremony or my earliest possible departure date. I wanted to go as early as possible but I had few things to take care of on Nov 19-20 in Seoul. Yet I couldn't miss the weekend because it would be meaningless to go home without maximizing the time with my parents. After compromising with people, I booked the ticket back on the 20th. I asked my dad to pay such an expensive amount for direct flights because I did not want to waste hours in transit. Man, I was only given permission for 9 days (travel time included) and of course I don't want to waste any minute.

The period in between was a roller coaster. I had final exam and TOPIK but all I think about was going home, of course. My health reached the lowest point too, thanks to the unpredictable Seoul weather. And lastly, making list of what I want to do/bring and what can I actually do/bring in 8 days in Indonesia was... challenging.

Meanwhile, I tricked Tyas, my best friend, when asking her the things that she wants from Korea. I said I am gonna ask an aunty to bring it to her because the aunty will go back to Jakarta. I gave Luluk, Vanda, Dimas surprise call few days before my departure. Luluk and Dimas didn't sound thrilled but Vanda was very excited to see me. Guys why don't you miss meeeee hahaha.

Packing was another story. I had 30kg baggage allowance, more than what I needed. But I only have two hands, one 29" luggage and one cabin size luggage. I decided to use box and boom! I had more than what I can bring in my hands. So there goes the story of begging my neighbors to help me at 6 AM (새벽, not even 아침) to bring them all to the nearest bus stop.

why I begged for help
Imagine this: 20th was the first day of vacation, so you wanted to sleep in after going through the hell of level 3. But an asshole neighbor asked for your help at dawn and it was dark, cold and windy. And this neighbor asked you to carry heavy box and luggages through 6 (yes, six) hills. Once you're done sending her off, you needed to climb those steep hills before resuming your sleep. The shitty neighbor might be gone physically yet she still asked you to replace her at an ASEAN event despite you being European and know absolutely nothing about the region. How do you think of that ungrateful neighbor? What would you do to her?

If I were my friends, I would probably cut off all my relationship with myself. Seriously. But these two friends of mine from Turkey and Uruguay were too kind and they helped me sincerely! I don't even know how to repay them for the precious sleep time and energy that they've lost...

I love you!

Things went smoothly after I took the bus to airport. I slept through the entire flight and once I reached Soekarno Hatta, I was greeted by familiar scene. Green trees on the side. Shower in the toilet. Shitty wifi and internet connection. Cream soup and pudding ftom KFC. Everything stays the same.

sweaty arrival
Stories from home soon!

6 comments:

  1. Hi Kak!!
    I really am interested by your experiences story in Korea.
    I am planning to pursue my education in Korea too, I hope we can be a good friends!^^
    (Um sorry the previous comment got deleted accidentally.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Halo Febby,

      Thank you for dropping by. Semangat untuk rencana studinya.


      Alira

      Delete
  2. kak itu pattern kopernya apa sih kak? pap dong pap! beli dimana kak? ku juga mau dongsss kak

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wah kak limited edition belinya di galaksi lain kak.

      Delete
  3. Hi kak alira, it's really nice to read all of your experience in korea. If you dont mind, can i ask few question about undergraduate scholarship from kgsp as what you got? I need your help and i hope you will respond to this. I'll wait, thank you😊

    -celinehartati-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Celine,

      Thank you for dropping by and sending me message. Semangat!

      Alira

      Delete