Wednesday, September 4, 2019

The Hardest Job

Let me introduce you to the hardest job I've had in 2019. This job was more challenging than any other jobs I've done throughout my college period.

I did not sign up for this job, yet it haunted me way back. I was in Rome when I first met someone who was doing the same job. I was also in Italy (Napoli, to be precise) when I first received the contact of someone who tried to recruit me.

Nothing was said about the job. They just wanted someone who lives in Seoul and someone who is not busy. All they asked for was my readiness and my CV. My user tried to conduct an interview with me but the timezone difference failed us (I would also say the mood was not right too. I was in a relaxing holiday mood and he was working, trying to recruit me).

Later I found out that they bypassed numerous rules and laws (could've been as serious as the state's administrative law, I am not sure myself) by recruiting me. I was never asked to fulfill the tedious administration process. No one even had my KTP or passport copy. Should I be grateful?

Flexible hours, they said. Sure. I can always come and go as I please without feeling guilty.
But no. As an Indonesian, there are sets of expectations put on me. I was expected to dedicate my 110% to this job. Should I be worried?

No payment was discussed. No working period was mentioned.
Later I found out that I got thousands of dollar for saying yes before knowing how, for being known as someone who is not busy. Should I be thankful?

Nice, uh?
Well, consider the downsides. I had the first nosebleed in my life as I worked in a dusty basement room. I had cough from allergy but no one cared, right? They fed me enough.
While commuting between home and the quarter is easy, I sometimes need to travel from and to school. My school is more than an hour bus ride away from the quarter.

The flexible hours part... The team took it way too seriously.
We set a meeting at 9 PM but we only started at 11PM. Of course, it would end at 1 AM, when there is no more service from most public transportation.

But here is a trade-off that people never realized.

More than anything, I traded my privacy and commitment to stay lowkey by taking this job. They bypassed the rules after a closed-door screening. But why me? There would be more chill Indonesian living in Seoul with a higher level of commitment. Why did they never ask for my documents, is it because they already obtained them from somewhere else?

I enjoyed the period when people from the government and private sector in Seoul took me lightly. All they knew was I am a poor student taking part-time jobs. I enjoyed the feeling of being unknown. I enjoyed the higher-ups who casually asked me for help or even gave me some trivial order like "Tolong ambilin... Tolong tutup pintunya ...."

By taking this job, they no longer saw me as Alira the poor student. They began to label me. Be it with my last name or my association with certain people or certain institutions. I am no longer Alira who is too free. I became that student who is related to Mr X or Mrs Y. The attitude changed, the smile went more formal and of course, the small talks would always touch Mr X or Mrs Y.

After a while, all I wanted was the job to be ended. I would care less with the payment. Take it.
But I could not quit, so I had to endure it. There were moments I enjoyed too, such as working with fun background music or nonstop food delivery. But I am not sure if those chickens and fun karaoke nights were worth the discomfort of being recognized as someone that I do not want to be?

Luckily it took only 3-4 months of mental and physical suffering.
I felt immense gratitude after finishing the job and bid my farewell to the quarter.
I am alive. I am alive. Nosebleed, cough, and some sleepless nights is nothing compared to the hundreds of people who lost their lives taking the same responsibility in different parts of our beloved country.

Alhamdulillah. I am alive. My team members are all alive.
My grades are good. My school life is going okay.

This job is... Bela negara. Petugas PEMILU Luar Negeri.

No comments:

Post a Comment