Monday, August 5, 2013

Mess in Our Education System

We never run out of topics when it comes to the education system in Indonesia. Just when we're about to take breathe after all the chaos in the National Examination (UN) this year, the drastic change of our curriculum suffocating us again. The new curriculum valued civics and religion subject for too much without considering the needs of the students. We're lacking of ethics, moral, and language skills but it seems that the minister only care about how to turn this country into a nationalist-religious nation.

I was interested when my Vietnamese friend, Trang, shared a link on Facebook about the Thai education system. I thought, "Oh, we're worse!"
This post would be 30000 words long if I share you the complete stories of my bad experience on public school and the national curriculum. HAHAHA.

First of all, the class size. My primary school had 53 students in each class back then. Nowadays it's better, only 40 something. But they have yet to upgrade the facilities. The toilets are just asdfghjkl. Indescribable. The smell, the look, the closet... It was the same with my beloved junior high. But it's okay lah, they no longer take school fees from the students. Back then, the school fee was only $1-$5 a month. Not to mention that my primary was one of the best five primary schools in town.

I would always be enthusiastic when it comes to my junior high moments. People always said that my school is THE BEST junior highschool in town. I trusted the words long before I know the truth. Perfectly situated in the heart of Bogor, it has a very nice view of the central christian church and the yard of the presidential palace, filled with hundreds of cute deers. The perfect location allows you to go to nearby shopping mall during recess. The students shouldn't feel pressured to comeback in time. They give you 30mins break but I always come back like 2 hours after. I even asked few teachers to give a ride back home on their motorcycle during recess time. Some of them would actually love to do it. YES! The school hours was really flexible.

Students paid $15-75 per month for a wonderful facilities in so-called international standard public school. The price was expensive for a public school. The other schools didn't even take fees from the students. We had AC, carpets, locker, PC and projector in each class but they were just there. They never worked properly. Insufficient electricity, broken key, and other crap reasons. The school even told us to use BROOM STALL to clean up the carpet. Never ever provided us with a vacuum cleaner. It seemed that the fees we paid was just never enough. Yes, I'm being super sarcastic here. 

The students had a ultimate freedom and zero pressure. You don't have to study hard, they don't educate you properly either. Just let the smartest of the class do their exams then everyone can copy. Well, some superior students could be very secretive and unwilling to share so just put your books under the table! If you're the type who never take notes just like me, then prepared a phone with a good signal. Text your friends! A lot of options, right! I'm talking about my own experience, I dunno whether its going better right now but I still got few texts from my buddies (the ones who go to public school for their senior high) during their exams, normally asking for help in physics or English (public and private schools have different exams schedule).

The ugly facts made me really depressed. I skipped school frequently on my final year of junior high. Surprisingly, no teacher scolded me. I told them openly that I didn't have the spirit and the passion to go to school and their reaction was, "Oh but you can't be like that." Fullstop.

I think I skipped like 40 effective days of school (not including the times when I went home 3-5 hours earlier or stayed outside the classroom) but my homeroom teacher put NONE in my final report card. Seriously, I could just skip the whole year. They still recorded my awards on math and English competition tho. That's all they cared about.

Teachers were busy gossiping each others. Some of them became my good friends. We text through the day and night, talking about random things. This relationship calmed me down. I got to see them as human, I know why they weren't passionate on their job, and I could see the big holes in the school management. But that didn't change anything cos I still wanted to be educated properly in a proper system.

Final year should be everything about exams and exams preparation, right?
I didn't feel that way. I didn't bother to learn even a single physics formula. Not because I already knew and mastered them all, but I could just copy my friends' answer. I didn't know how the hell I get 9.75/10.00 (means that I only made 1 wrong answer) for science subject on national exams. I copied everything, I didn't even read the questions. I always hate science HAHAHA

I was the master of cheating. I text the teacher or school staffs asking for help during the exams, I run to the next room - trying to find that one teacher who always willing to share the answer, I openly put books on the table and talk to my friends - discussing answers on the exams then I steal, copy and distribute the math exam papers to every students before the test day... I've tried everything. And I CONFESSED all of my acts to the related teacher. I might cheat but I don't lie. I don't wanna grow up as a liar or a coward. None of my teachers scolded me. Seriously. The furthest they've gone is only to warn me, in a flat tones.

You wouldn't believe my scores upon graduation, with all the bad and terrible acts that I've done. There were 13 subjects for the 6th (last) semester and I got >90 for 11 subjects. My English and religion were 86 and 80 in the scale of 100.

I have more stories coming up. It's hard to write in English, srsly. Three years of formal education in so called international-standarized school didn't really help. They called themselves the best public junior highschool in Bogor - but that's only a name. A wish that they never be able to achieve in a short period of time.

Btw I actually posted so many stories alrd. Check em here -  national exams, flashback1, flashback2, religion education. Translator may not work cos its in informal Indonesian.


P.S : The government and the minister of education cancelled all the "international standard" title from all related public schools throughout the nation earlier this year. It's good because this one particular school never deserve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment